Saturday, June 16, 2007

God The Father by Derek Prince

God the Father has ever been the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, and Christ has ever been His Son. In Ephesians 3:14-15, Paul says: “For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named.”

This passage shows us not only that God is the Father of Christ, but also that the office of fatherhood in all the earth is derived from and established on the pattern of the office that God the Father holds within the Godhead. All fatherhood is a projection of the nature of God the Father.

A Pointed Challenge

In his influential and very practical teaching, “Husbands and Fathers” (in a moment I’ll tell you how you can receive a copy on DVD), Derek points out that, because of the principle stated above, every father is called to function in three important spiritual roles in the home — that of prophet, priest and king (or governor).

At one point in that teaching, Derek presents a pointed challenge:

Check your performance in each of these three areas, and ask yourself some relevant questions:

1. As priest of my family, am I faithful in regular, daily intercession for them? How often do I thank God for them?

2. As prophet, how well have I represented God to my family? Have I given them a picture of the loving Father in heaven? Or must I acknowledge that the picture I have given them of our Father God is actually an unattractive caricature?

3. As king [head of my household], have I ruled my children with a discipline that combines love and firmness and that prepares them to take their place in society as responsible citizens? Have I set boundaries for my children that protect them from the evil forces at work in the world today?

What is your response to these questions? Do you recognize that you have indeed “sinned and fallen short of the glory of God”? That is no reason to be discouraged or to give up. God convicts us of our sins not in order to condemn us but to direct us to the remedy He has provided for us through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross.

Clearly, as we approach this Father’s Day, every Christian man (and every person who loves one), needs more spiritual insight about this vitally important three-fold role.

No comments:

Post a Comment